Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bunashimeji

Also known as beech mushrooms. And no, I didn't grab this pile of mushrooms from a random driftwood on a beach. I actually discovered this while walking around the produce section of T&T Supermarket with a new friend. We were distracted by this wonderful smell which came from a tiny little booth. A pleasant Chinese lady was cooking the mushroom and giving them away for free tasting. We took the last free sample and my friend and I were instantly hooked. We immediately demanded for the recipe which turned out to be just the mushroom itself, sauteed with a bit of oil and oyster sauce.

Today I get to try and cook bunashimeji. Although as you can see, I may have overdone it a bit with the oyster sauce. However, I didn't mind since it wasn't that salty in the end. In fact, my mom and I had to fight over who gets the last mushroom stalk. I'll definitely be buying more of this beech mushroom.

This meal is perfect as an appetizer for 1 to 2 people. It costs $2.00 at T&T. Did I mention, it's 100% organic?


For those who like to experiment a bit with their dishes, you can easily add thin beef slices and other vegetables like carrots, onion and baby corn to make it into some kinda stir fry. You can top it on rice as well to make it into a full load entree.

Although I haven't tried it, I suspect it'll make an excellent vegetable terriyaki mix with udon noodles. Just use terriyaki sauce instead of oyster sauce. No doubt, use Lee Kum Kee.

Happy experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open to questions, suggestions and complaints. Closed for spamming.